Follow me on Facebook

Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Facebook

Saturday, 29 November 2014

Top 10 things to love about Christmas.

HOORAY!!! It is officially December and therefor I am going all crazy Christmas lady on you all. This is the top 10 things to love about Christmas. The judges decision is final (That's me, get over it).



10: Christmas Carols: Yes I know, some people hate them, but bah humbug! I love them. Nothing beats walking through the shopping center to the tunes of Christmas. Even better if you get carolers come to the door (That basically never happens in Australia though but a girl can dream).

9: Shopping: I love the hustle and bustle of shopping and I even love the crowded shops. What other time of the year can you go on a mad shopping spree and not feel guilty? The thought of how happy my loved ones are going to be just makes me all warm and toasty inside.

8: Cooking up a feast: The tradition of Christmas lunch at my house. I open my doors to anyone that wants to come. Family, friends, friends of friends, the elderly man my daughter used to work with because he is all alone, some lady my mother met at quilting and anyone else who walks through the door. The more the merrier, come on- it's Christmas! Are YOU busy December 25th?

7: The K-Mart wishing tree: You may not have K-mart, it depends where you are reading this, but there are all sorts of charities everywhere. I love the K-mart wishing tree. I pop an extra present or two in the trolley and place them under the tree provided for some kiddies that would other wise be having a pretty cruddy Christmas.. No suckie Christmas's allowed!!! Not on this Santa's watch!

6: Decorating the house: This includes weeks of preparation. Not only using store bought items but the fun of making things with the kids. It builds the atmosphere. Here is a really cool website that has great Christmas craft.. It may come with a glitter warning- well at least it should. Christmas crafts for kids

5: Norad Santa tracker: I love this and I am convinced that even if I had no children I would sit up at night and do this myself. For those of you unfamiliar with Norad. It kicks off on Christmas eve and There is a little animation of Santa and his sleigh flying around the world, dropping of presents. The kids can track his movements and will beg to go to bed as they see him getting closer to, whichever country you live in. It is so much fun and it can be found at Norad santa tracker

4: Christmas light hunting: How awesome is driving around with family or friends, light spotting. When you happen across entire streets or neighborhoods that get involved, it can be great fun to get out and walk it. So beautiful to look at and everyone is in the Christmas spirit. Even better is when your own house is fully decked out and people stop to chat to you and to wish you a Merry Christmas. The electricity bill may not be so festive but hey, worry about that in January!

3: Baking home made cookies: This one is a two parter. The baking of the cookies is fun, I always bake extra for the Christmas lunch the following day and also make up a heap to give to unexpected visitors as gifts. Some times it feels like Santa's workshop in my kitchen. I have the production line going. One kid rolling, one cutting, one decorating. They cry that their fingers hurt and they want to go to sleep but deep down they love it I'm sure (I'm kidding, don't call the authorities, there is no unpaid child labor here). The second part is then leaving the cookies out for Santa. This particular Santa will only drink Coca-Cola and eat homemade cookies. (My kids have gotten into lot's of discussions about this with friends who claim Santa drinks milk, (not in this house buddy!) I felt kind of bad that I might be setting a bad example until I heard one child say, "my mum said Santa only drinks wine." Thank God for that kids mum! Cookie recipe here

2: Watching Christmas movies: Hello my name is Suzie, I am an addict. I currently own 80 Christmas movies on DVD and I watch almost all of them every Christmas season. Don't send help, I may hold them hostage until they watch at least one movie with me. Some movies make me laugh, some I cry and some I wonder why the hell i'm watching this rubbish, but this is probably my favorite of all my family traditions. top 100 xmas movies here

1: Christmas morning: If seeing your kids or grand kids or whoever's face light up when they get up Christmas morning and see a bunch of presents, the remnants of cookies and coke and the reindeer's half chewed carrot , doesn't hit you hard in the feels you need to re-evaluate. The excitement, the laughter, the togetherness- Sigh, is it December 24th yet?

Well That's my list, I would love to hear about your family traditions as well. So leave me a comment and we will have a chat. HO HO HO MERRY CHRISTMAS. Click here I dare you!

24 comments:

  1. Well first of all, I love how you say it is officially December when that won't happen until Monday. You are not that far ahead of us, are you?? But actually I agree. My husband, Joe, and I put up the trees last night. I have one in my snuggery (where I read and watch as many Christmas movies as my tears will take), one in my office where I write (and blog or comment on blogs), and of course one in the living room. Joe and I never had children, but I think what I absolutely love the most are the stories behind the ornaments on the main tree. I have some that were my mom's and other family members, the first ones I bought when I got married, ones from shopping with Joe's sister, and so on. I can get weepy just thinking about it!

    Since Joe and I moved out west, I have started a tradition of baking cookies for my sister and brother and their families who all live back east. Part of that tradition is baking apricot nut bread, which was always on our holiday dinner tables baked by my mom. I still have the little cookbooklet from Pillsbury dated 1949 where she got the recipe. Can you tell yet that I am a total sentimentalist?!! The last 4 months of the year are my favorite time of year, loving the fall and loving the holidays. I could probably share enough to write a book---hmmmm, maybe I will! A very Merry Christmas to you and yours across the sea! I hope Joe and I get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty, You caught me. I wrote my post 2 weeks ago and tried so hard to wait until xmas but I just couldn't do it. I snuck it up 1 day early. It was early hours of Sunday over here when I put it up shhh don't tell haha.. I also have all the kids first Christmas ornaments and make them put those one one on themselves (even the one that doesn't live home anymore, she has to come over just for that).

    Your apricot nut bread sounds divine and you know I'm going to look up a recipe later. You sound a lot like me. I have all of these little traditions I follow each year. Look out if anyone messes with them haha...

    You know if you and Joe ever do make it over here.. be sure to look me up. Would love to see you guys. Merry Christmas in advance to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in case you don't see the Facebook post, that apricot nut bread recipe is in the back of the book. I hope you will give it a try. It is really good, and you can really put any fruit you like in it too. :)

      Delete
    2. In the back of your novel you mean? Hooray Thanks Patty.

      Delete
  3. Wow Suzie Jay! you go all out for Christmas! 80 movies!!!! sounds like your place is alot of Fun this time of year! Santa liked coke and cookies at my place too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See santa has it happening and knows where its at haha. Did you know that coca cola invented the image of "santa" as we now know him. They gave him the red coat with white trim to match the red and white label. That is enough evidence for me that Santa loves Coke!

      Delete
  4. Santa knows whats good! I didnt know that Coke decked Santa out in his cool outfit I learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever marketing that went viral haha Wish coke was advertising my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list! Thanks for sharing this Suzie Jay. I didn't even realise there was a Norad christmas tracker - I'll try that this year! The top 100 christmas movie list is fantastic as well. I hope to get through many of these in December : )

    My family tradition is putting on the Christmas jumper. It's something you can never wear at any other time of the year but at xmas is completely acceptable! That's why I associate it with xmas : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I usually wear some sort of Christmas shirt as well (too hot for jumpers in Australia) and Christmas earrings, even better if they flash on and off.

    You definitely need to try the Santa tracker, It's so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes envy those of you who love this season so much.

    As for me, I'd just as soon skip from Thanksgiving (and that's iffy) to New Year's and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cyndi thats sad. But it's like everything, some people love it and some people don't. I hope it turns out to be special for you in some way regardless :)

      Delete
  9. I too love Christmas movies! Thanks for posting that link (top 100 Christmas Movies), it will certainly keep me busy this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find any super duper amazing ones, let me know. I need some new ones in my life. Did you hear they are bringing out jingle all the way 2? Only about 20 years after the original with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Can't wait haha

      Delete
  10. I love to hear the carolers here too! I'm not as big on the food or movies, but I love being able to spend time with my family and I just love to shop for them all! Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh where do you live Hannah? Do you have snow and carolers? I'm a bit jealous.

      Delete
  11. Seriously love Christmas movies too. I also may or may not enjoy Christmas treats just a little too much. *smirk*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no such thing as 'too much' at Christmas time.. hehe well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the tip about Norad! I don't quite have 80 Christmas movies but I sure do love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they amazing.. my absolute favorite is a season for miracles. I could pretty much watch it, and then press play and watch it again. I think the fact it is predictable is what I love about it. And yes check out Norad it is adorable the kids absolutely love it.

      Delete
  13. Norad is great. Anything to do with cooking and I'm out. Would probably sit and watch those movies with you, though. Definitely hunting for lights and watching the kids open the pressies are my top 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok i'll do the baking and then we can settle down and watch the top 100 chrissy movies together.. how does that sound? Sounds amazing to me :)

      Delete
  14. This has just made me twice more excited about Christmas already! The cookie recipe sounds delicious, ill definitely be giving that one ago this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cookie recipe is good but its not my secret cookie recipe.. I just couldn't bring myself to do it haha.

    ReplyDelete