Follow me on Facebook

Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Facebook

Monday, 3 November 2014

Dare to dream

One evening as I was walking back from the local shops, struggling with three bags of groceries because my trusty VW beetle had proved to be less trusty than I originally thought and had broken down yet again (If Oprah is reading this,I'm poor and still have no car), I noticed that cars were coming from everywhere and pulling up into driveways of houses. I looked at the time and it was just after 5. People were exiting their cars and looked dirty and weary and there wasn't a smile among them. This got me thinking, "how many people are actually living their dream life?"

I know I wasn't. I was walking from the shop instead of being delivered to my front door in a chauffeur driven limousine to start with, even then I would be getting dropped off to a 2 bedroom rental that housed my husband, myself and five of our six children.  We were going through a financial rough patch that was proving very difficult to dig ourselves out of. I would see my husband working six days a week and ridiculous hours, just to skim by and not have enough money for his lunch two days after payday.

I wished I could go back to work to help him out but some of our children are very young and need me at home for now. I tried my hand at some home based business' to try and help with a little bit of extra money. I started baking and decorating character birthday cakes and selling them. The problem was the amount of time and money that went into them was barely covered by what people were prepared to pay.

I came to a cross roads in my mind, right there in the middle of the street. I was okay at cake decorating but not great at it. To continue on I would need to invest money into lessons and more equipment. If I was honest with myself I hated doing it as well. Every time I knew I had a cake to make it took such a physical effort to get up and start the process. I began to wonder, "why am I continually putting money and effort into careers I don't enjoy? Some I did okay at and some I failed." I began to see it from a life changing perspective, if I was going to fail at something, I would rather potentially fail at something I love". So what exactly did I love? What was my passion?

Writing is my passion, I love it! I obsessively write shopping lists and cleaning schedules and anything that gives me the opportunity to put pen to paper.  I used to write all the time when I was younger and always got lots of praise from my family, teachers, university lecturers and so on. If they all thought I had "it" and it was something I loved, why the hell not?

I want to live my dream, I want to be an author and I want to write books that are easy to read, books that get people reading regardless of whether the content is life changing or not because sometimes just the act of reading is the life changing part. Yes I am daring to dream!

So here I go, I had this revelation about 2-3 weeks ago. In that time I have written 3 stories for little children and a novel. They will all be up on Amazon and ibooks within the next few weeks, I'm hoping they do well but if they don't I'll try again. If I have to give up on a dream I want to know it at least stood a chance.










Find me on twitter: @zeeyone3
Find me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suzie-Jay/1517547845161295
Find me at suziejayauthor.blogspot.

Yep I got it covered!

2 comments:

  1. Those children's books look adorable! I wish you all the best on your writings and I'm glad you're actually following your dreams. I wish more people nowadays did, but I think they are too scared to. I'm sure you'll be successful and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hannah, I hope your dreams come true as well.. no matter what they might be :)

    ReplyDelete