Follow me on Facebook

Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Facebook

Thursday, 23 October 2014

Just a quickie about editing and book previews

Over the last week it has felt like my brain has been backstroking through chocolate pudding. My head hurts and I could do with a good nap.

I have been fortunate to find some really lovely people that are willing to help a newbie out and offer advice, tips, tricks and pretty much any knowledge they have they are happy to share.

I have noticed lots of Authors offer free tidbits of their novel before it is published. I like this idea, it allows the reader to not only test the book subject but also allows them to see if they connect with the style of the writer. Its like marriage, not everyone is compatible. In fact there is a highly acclaimed novel out at the moment that seems to be on every top 20 list, yet I just couldn't get past the first few pages. The topic was intriguing and I was looking forward to the story yet, it just didn't 'do it for me'

I tried bumming the book off to my mother because she loves a good freebie and will read pretty much anything. A few day later she told me she just couldn't get into it and had passed it on to one of her friends. Unfortunately I have since learnt that it has been passed on a few more times and not one of us has been able to get past the first chapter.

When an author offers the chance to peek under their skirt (or shorts) it allows us to take the aspect of style out of the equation. I have decided I would like to put up a little bit of my soon to be novel. With this comes the issue of editing. I have contacted several editors and they won't even quote me on an edit until the book is finished and have informed me their starting price ranges from $2,000 to - $3,000. Now not wanting to sound negative, but I wasn't actually expecting my book to make that sort of money and can't justify taking that out of the family budget. There is no way I would let even a page of my novel out into the big wide world without an edit. I was feeling disheartened when I found www.fiverr.com . Its pretty much a sight where people with some serious skills offer their services for $5.

Not just editing, but converting to ebook, designing front covers and reading books and writing reviews. An absolute miracle for people like myself who are still learning and need a bit of a helping hand.

I acknowledge that higher quality services may be available but I have hired a lovely woman who is friendly and helpful and this has allowed me the option to get the first chapter of my book up for public scrutiny and I can't wait. My fingers are crossed that it will be well received but my knees are knocking.

4 comments:

  1. Are you serious? That's fantastic! Have you got a critique group yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope I didn't know they existed and the anxiety I feel, just reading your words scare me haha. How do you get to be a part of a critique group?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so great! I'm really happy for you on this! It's just amazing what the Internet can do nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is Amazing. Everything you need to learn is a click of a button away if you know how to search for it. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete